On July 10, 2012 over 50 college students, recent grads and professionals packed the house at kbs+p and NY Creative Interns monthly mixer. Ashley Parrish was the guest of honor this time, and she gave some great information about the various twists and turns in her editorial career path, in addition to making attendees laugh and genuinely enjoy her presence. She eventually climbed her way up to where she is now – Editor in Chief for the site DailyCandy, which is geared towards women.
The absolute takeaways from Ashley’s experience and presentation were to stay curious. Her top five tips are below.
Top Five Tips for Staying Curious
- Read voraciously. Whether personal or work related material, reading is a smart way to spend your time.
- Keep track of great ideas. Make it work for you, try using apps or paper journals.
- Make time for creative projects. In other words, turn those great ideas into action.
- “Find the pain points.” Think of ways to make your organization or industry better, and share them with people that matter.
- Network like nobody’s business. Look for ways to bridge online and offline meetings, using Twitter for instance. New to the platform? You can sign up for our Skillshare class and find out everything you need to know for mastering Twitter for career development.
More On Pain Points
Refreshments were served, following the usual combination of: guest speaker presentation, opportunities to announce job openings, as well as our forte – great networking. Check out our Facebook album for more photos of the July Mixer.
See Ashley’s entire presentation on the NY Creative Interns Slideshare.
Did you attend, we’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments. We also hope that you join us for our Happy Hour, this coming Wednesday.